Thursday, February 19, 2009

Montessori Classrooms

I would most like to teach in a Montessori classroom if I had the option. There are many reasons for this. The first of which is that I love the way that the Montessori schools are so focused on dealing with objects to teach rather than sitting at a desk and giving formal instruction. I think that for early childhood, this is one of the best approaches there is.

I also love that the children are free to move about the classroom to participate in many different types of activities. The activities are so varied, also, so it would be great for children with attention difficulties. I also love the fact that teachers individualize the activities for the students, through working with them and observing them as they participate in activities.

The Montessori method also teaches basic skills, like we saw in the video the way the students learned to button and clean up after themselves. In typical schools, I think we often assume that students will learn this at home, but I think it is great that Montessori suggested integrating it into the classroom. It makes children independent and responsible for their own personal care, to some extent, which frees up the teacher to focus on more "educational" activities than tying shoes and zipping clothes.

I think it would be fun to be called a "directress" too!

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has attended a Montossori school I agree with everything you have said. What I remember from my school was that it seemed as though I was always playing. Though I was actually learning it always was put into fun activitie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also choose the Montessori method for the classroom that I would most like to teach in. I love how the activities are individualized and personalized for each student. I feel that this method would allow each child to expand on their own strengths and weaknesses. What better way do it than with individualized activities/lessons?

    ReplyDelete